Veterinary Nursing CPD sessions
WOULD YOU LIKE TO…
1] Learn the theory regarding the catching and handling of birds
2] Learn a restraint technique for a range of birds you may have presented to you in your practice
3] Practice techniques to minimise stress to the bird and ensure the safety of the handler
4] Observe and participate in such bird healthcare situations such as medicating, moving from one location to another, leg ringing etc as occasion demands
5] Receive a certificate of achievement after successful completion of the CPD session
The day is led by Jill Thrower, Senior Keeper at Paradise Park and former teacher of animal care.
Jill has experience in all sections at the Park including the soft-billed and parrot-like birds, and mammals. Her detailed knowledge of the birds comes from working at the Park for over 40 years including presenting shows, and from teaching students at all levels.
Jill is able to time Continuing Professional Development (CPD) sessions with regular bird check-ups and moves, so participants will be able to learn by experiencing close contact with suitable birds.
- A short theory lesson and power point presentation on the types of catching and handling techniques used in effective catching and handling of birds.
- Work alongside a Keeper when birds are being caught or moved, to see the equipment used and how it is used.
- Practice handling a bird for a physical examination.
- Observe any healthcare or husbandry procedures.
- Course cost will include admission to the Park, cost of the CPD session, and use of the Park’s facilities after the CPD session has been completed.
- Total CPD session time is from 11.00 until 3.30 p.m. Lunch break 1-2pm.
When do they run?
- Veterinary Surgeries will be notified of dates and times on a rolling programme
- Places limited to 5 people per session
- £65.00 per person
If for any reason the session has to be cancelled, we will give you an alternative date and time.
For further details contact Jill Thrower (Cert. Ed), CPD co-ordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download a PDF of our leaflet here Veterinary nurse CPD at Paradise Park, Cornwall
Photograph: Correct restraint technique for a macaw